Seniors for Seniors is a program focusing on senior cats in our shelter and seniors in our community. We match our loving senior cats with caring and loving senior homes to benefit both cat and person.
Cats are wonderful companions for people of all ages, but can be especially beneficial to seniors. Many studies have been done showing that cat companionship can help:
• Reduce stress by lowering cortisol levels and increasing serotonin levels
• Reduce resting heart rate, blood pressure, and cholesterol values
• Decrease risk for heart attack and stroke
• Reduce depression and diminish loneliness
• Increase social activity and mental health
• Boost nervous and immune systems, resulting in faster recovery from illness, injury, and grief
• Senior cats are often overlooked at shelters due to their advanced age and/or health issues, but are often the most appreciative to be in a loving home. A senior cat has already gone through their rambunctious kitten phase, and though many are still playful, others want nothing more than a warm lap and constant companion. This program benefits both person and animal in helping alleviate the above ailments for the cats as well. Older cats tend to suffer from depression when in a shelter environment which can cause health issues to arise.
• When a cat leaves the shelter to go to their new home, they have been sterilized, vaccinated, microchipped, dewormed and had an overall health exam by one of our Veterinarians. This is all at no cost to their adopter.